"Fleur" woven wall art plate | ivy
These beautifully intricate wall plates are designed to enhance and magnify any room. Leave the sweetgrass plate as a stand-alone piece or pair with other plates or bowls to transform your space. Match to throw pillows in your living room or bed set in your bedroom. Each of these breathtaking designs was made with courage and heart by a woman in rural Rwanda. They are also a thoughtful and meaningful personalised gift for any occasion.
The intricate designs and flawless work of an experienced weaver is never the result of luck. Rather, Rwandan women owe their skills to the women before them who passed on the knowledge from generation to generation—mother to daughter, grandmother to child. As young weavers learn from their elders, they quickly realise the weaving process is a painstaking one.
Passing on basket weaving to young women carries the weight of upholding a time-honoured practice and an age-old rite of passage. Baskets decorate nearly every Rwandan home, for they are one of the most important symbols of family, friendship, good fortune, and proud cultural heritage.
Size: Approx 71cm diameter, 6cm deep.
Material: Made from all natural sisal fibres and sweet grass, with organic dyes used for colouring.
- Do not immerse or wash with water.
- Wipe clean with a damp cloth as needed.
- The bowl has a hanging loop on the back, for easy mounting as wall decor.
- A "profiled weaver" tag is attached to each item, with information about the craftswoman who made the plate.
- Made in an ethical, fair trade environment, this one of kind piece takes weeks to complete.
- Made in Rwanda, Africa.