"Bolga" woven fan | small | sunset blue
When is a fan not a fan? Why when it can also be a stunning piece of wall art too. Woven from elephant grass in the southern part of Ghana, these fans are a labour of love and are testament to the skill of the artisans who make them. Each one is unique so have fun choosing your favourites.
Size: Approx 19cm wide, 38cm high.
Material: Made from elephant grass, with organic dyes used for colouring.
- To clean or re-shape, simply wet it with cool water, shape it as needed, and allow it to air dry.
- Avoid using chemicals or detergents.
- These delicately textured and handcrafted woven fans were made by groups of women in intimate communities in the Bolgatanga region of Ghana in an ethical, fair trade environment.
- A "profiled weaver" tag is attached to each item, with information about the craftswoman who made the bowl.
- The material used for weaving in Bolgatanga is elephant grass, this grass is only available in the southern part of Ghana, Kumasi to be precise. The grasses are harvested and dried up, a process which might take up to three days. It is then tied together in big bundles and transported to the Bolga markets. This is where most of the weavers buy their raw materials. The straw grass is further processed before weaving begins.
- Note that as each item is handmade, slight variations in colour or size may occur.
- Made in Ghana, Africa.
Gorgeous, looks better than on the website 💚