"Unity" woven bowl | small | silver blue
We absolutely love the colours and patterns of these handmade African woven bowls. They look just beautiful hung on the wall (and come with a hanging loop just for this purpose), or displayed on a shelf, coffee table or sideboard. They are deep enough to be used as a storage basket for fruit, remotes or keys and wallets, and so on.
These intricately woven bowls are created by craftswomen in Rwanda using traditional techniques. They are each stunning, one-of-a-kind pieces, rich in cultural meaning and purpose. Friends give them as gifts to celebrate major life events such as weddings, births and graduations, and the bowls are proudly displayed as symbols of friends, family and life.
The three-line pattern on this basket is known as the “unity” design and symbolises the three ethnic groups that divided Rwanda in 1994, but who now work together to heal wounds from the past. Weavers heal through the collective effort of working toward the same purpose and goal: to create beauty with their own hands.
Size: Approx 16cm diameter, 5.5cm deep.
Material: Made from all natural sisal fibres and sweet grass, with organic dyes used for colouring.
- Do not immerse or wash with water.
- Wipe clean with a damp cloth as needed.
- The bowl has a hanging loop on the back, for easy mounting as wall decor.
- A "profiled weaver" tag is attached to each item, with information about the craftswoman who made the bowl.
- Handmade in an ethical, fair trade environment, this one of kind piece takes weeks to complete.
- Made in Rwanda, Africa.